We have moved!!! For my new posts click here!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Kettle/Crockpot dyeing with Kool-aid

I started knitting a Quant today, mostly because I avoiding the sizing up and sizing down of a pattern I am making. Why avoid it? Because my temp is 101 to 102 right now with out meds and the meds I can take are putting me in a fog. (I think I have the flu that my daughter had about 2 weeks ago, which makes sense because it takes 2 to 3 weeks for the flu virus to gestate.) Anyway it is a no-go for pattern math because I am SURE I will make a mistake.

Ok so I am FINALLY getting this thing up! I have had the pictures up on Flickr for about a week but have been way too busy.



This is the yarn soaking in the crock-pot. I let it soak for about an half an hour.



These are the "kool-aids" I am using. For the record the exact colors I am using are Kool-aid Berry Blue and Wyler's Orange. Two packets of each. I pre-mixed this time in 1/2 cup of water.



Before adding the colors I moved the yarn to make a spiral from the bottom up. I added the colors with a turkey baster, making sure that the colors got to the bottom. I then turned it on low and left it alone for about an hour. The dye bath was not fully exhausted at that time so I stirred it around gently and it immediately exhausted.



The yarn is drying in this picture.




And here is is all reskeined. I still need to find a name for it... Can't think of anything.

3 comments:

Katie O said...

Reminds me of sea glass that you buy at a gift shop on a boardwalk near the beach. Like pieces of jewelry you buy... the blues and greens with slight shades of orange... I like it! Nice job!

Mosaica said...

Love this yarn you've created --I also immediately thought of the oceanside: dark steely-green ocean and those beautiful bladder-seaweeds. Anyhow, gorgeous :-)

Aunt Kathy said...

Wow that color is gorgeous... I love it.

By the way you won the final week of my blog contest, congratulations. I need you to email me so I can tell you how to get your free pattern.

All patterns, free or otherwise are licensed. This means you can not SELL the patterns nor copy and paste them for free on your blog or even give them out for free, but you can direct people to this site to get them for themselves. You ARE allowed to sell/gift/burn what you make with my patterns so long as you don't call yourself the designer, just the maker of said object. If you do sell said object, please link back to my blog.




All photos are licensed and can only be used if they link back to this site. All other content is licensed and MUST have my permission or the license holders permission to use them on another site. Stealing content is not acceptable and in violation of the law.